Saturday, September 13, 2008

Favorite Cookbooks/ Web Sites AND Asian Noodle Salad

Right now my favorite cookbook is the America's Test Kitchen The Best International Recipe. My favorite recipes are the Indian. I love the Best Recipe series as they really go in depth as to the reasoning behind the recipes. I also love how they give suggestions on what supplies/hardware are best.

I love to just read this book. I learn so much. It is very instructional. My sis-in-law, Lilly, has the original Best Recipe book. That one is also great. I've asked for a bunch of the other's on my Amazon wish list. We'll see.



My next favorite cookbook I've had for some time. I bought it on a whim at Ollie's. I think I only paid $5 or something. I never figured it would be one of my favorites, but the Ultimate Cake Mix Cookbook by Betty Crocker is perfect when you are trying to throw together a quick dessert. I've made almost all of the recipes. My favorites are: Bananas Foster Cake, Mandarin Orange Cake, Lemonade Party Cake and Peanut Butter Silk Cake.

As for web sites, by far my favorite is the Pioneer Woman. She is so witty. Her recipes are always amazing and she takes you step by step. I have created a variation on her Favorite Salad Ever. All women who try it love it. Here you go:
Asian Noodle Salad
SALAD INGREDIENTS:
1 packages linguine noodles, cooked, rinsed, and cooled
1/2 to 1 head sliced Napa cabbage
1/2 to 1 bag baby spinach
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
2 mangoes, diced
1 small bag bean sprouts
2 sliced scallions
2 peeled, sliced cucumbers
LOTS of chopped basil—up to one bunch
1 can whole cashews, lightly toasted in skillet
DRESSING:
Juice of 1 lime
8 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons sesame oil
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 hot pepper or jalapeƱo, chopped
More chopped basil—LOTS
Mix together salad ingredients. Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Mix with tongs or hands and serve on platter.

Sometimes I leave out the noodles. Sometimes, I add grilled steak. I love, love, love this salad. I also serve this salad when I make yellow curry.

Here are the rest of my fav's:
All Recipes
Baking Bites
Coconut & Lime
Food Gawker
Laylita's Recipes
Manjula's Kitchen
Salt & Chocolate
The Kitchn

No comments: